Overdrive - 12AX7 Tube Pedal
The OVERDRIVE is a boutique all-analog vacuum tube pedal with enough gain to push itself into classic preamp-style overdrive, delivering warm, fat, crunchy, and rich tones. Primarily designed for studio use, this pedal offers superb signal-to-noise performance, implements true-bypass, and provides a buffered output capable of driving long cables or other pedals with ease. Doubles as a clean boost / buffer or EQ pedal at lower gains.
This is not a clone or copy of a vintage design; it is new from scratch using the best materials and components available, including metal film resistors and polypropylene capacitors. A built-in low noise boost converter provides high voltage for proper tube bias and operation, insuring maximum performance. A high-current +9V wall wart is included.
Equalization and gain are flat when controls are set to center, allowing for a wide range of operation and tonality. For lower gain, other tubes can be substituted, such as the 5751, 12AT7, or 12AY7.
Hand built in USA.
- True bypass
- 1 x 12AX7, all analog circuit
- 33dB maximum gain
- Non-inverting polarity
- 4.0" x 5.0" x 4.5"
- Includes 9V supply, tube, 10-year warranty, free shipping
- Do not spill liquids onto pedal
- Do not use standard negative 9V pedal power supply
- Do not use low current power supply
- Wait 20 seconds for tube to warm up (delayed high voltage)
- "I like how the pedal sounds like my amp, which is what an overdrive should sound like. I know it’s not to say the sort of sound you guys may be into, but I really like it a lot when I have the amp distorted like a classic Marshall, and then stomp on the overdrive. It adds another gain stage in that makes it sound like a modded/hot rotted amp for more hard rock/metal tones. But doesn’t sound like a distortion box going into a distorted amp. Doesn’t get muddy, just adds extra crunch and sustain on single notes, etc. Very nice!"
- "I have to say, that if I were forced to choose one pedal currently in my house to keep, it would be yours, Jim."
- "The short story is that this is a more harmonically rich/dense version of my favorite OD to date - the Bearfoot Honeybee. Very nice."
- "Very flexible. This is the bane of many drive pedals. It’s very easily tuneable and intuitive. The tone controls are some of the most flexible I’ve encountered (rivals the Timmy). I ran my Timmy into it, and was able to get an angry tone out of it. While I’m not inclined toward doing so on a regular basis, I have to say that the edge coming from the Timmy combined with the harmonic density from the Hag-drive was very, very nice. It stacks very well with something in front of it."